Hill Law Office
Hill Law Office team photo

Hurt at work as an immigrant? You deserve to receive care

On Behalf of | Jun 14, 2021 | Work Accidents

No matter who you are, if you’re working legally or as an undocumented person, you deserve to receive medical care if you are hurt on the job. Whenever you’re hurt while doing your job, it’s your right to seek out workers’ compensation or to file a workers’ compensation claim, so you can be fairly compensated and have your medical expenses covered.

When you’re injured as an undocumented immigrant, there are a few things that you need to do. To start with, follow these steps before reaching out to your attorney.

  1. Injured? Go to the hospital

If you get hurt on the job, the first thing you need to do is to make sure you seek care at your local hospital or urgent care. Call 911 to the scene if the injury is serious, and get care as soon as possible.

If you have to leave work because of the injury, let a coworker, supervisor or your boss know that you’ll be leaving to get medical care. You don’t have to wait for the end of your shift to seek out care.

  1. Talk to your employer

Talk to your employer after you get medical care and are stable. Some employers are required to have workers’ compensation, which you can claim against. Others may not be required to have workers’ compensation, so you may have to file a personal injury claim instead. In your case, simply ask to find out if the employer can report the injury to workers’ compensation. If not, then you should look into additional legal options such as making a premises liability claim or personal injury claim for the injuries you suffered.

  1. Meet with a legal professional

If you have to take your case to court or file a lawsuit, then you’ll want to understand your rights. Take some time to consult with professionals who understand workers’ compensation and claims made by others working in similar industries, such as in agriculture or food processing.

Get support for yourself during this process, so you can focus on your health and recovery. There are multiple ways to make a claim, and you should have the right to do so.